Monday, June 4, 2012

The Daggers

Stick and stones they break my bones
But words they really wound me
They pierce me like sharp daggers
Leaving open wounds in which the salt can pour in
Each hateful word, name, judgement
 Forms a dagger stabbing my being
The open wounds lay unhealed
Open to the next word, judgement, or stare 
To deepen the pain and hold they have
But no one knows the pain
No one knows the words that echo through my ears
The daggers from years ago that continue to chip away
That rip my soul, my bare open soul
That tears my heart to shreds
Shreds falling down to the cold stone floor
Losing hope of ever being pieced together
But no one knows
My apparent optimism covers the wounds
The smile of my mask covers the tears
Yet day after day
The daggers stab me
Leaving the open wounds
And this broken girl

No comments:

Post a Comment